Friday, August 13, 2010

Deciphering God's Will

We all make decisions. Some decisions are critical, some are benign. Some of the hardest decisions in my life have been the process of discerning God's will as I determine the direction I will go. A few of my decisions were in attempting some of these questions:

Should I marry Anna?

Should I buy this house?

Should I sell this house?

Should I leave the Navy?

Should I move to Valley Center to restart a dying church?

As I faced these questions, and others, I tried to follow a certain "flow chart" in trying to determine if God's will was backing my decision one way or another. Here is my flow chart:

1. Do I have peace about either answer?

2. Does the Bible speak directly about my particular situation?

3. Do those who are mature in the faith have wisdom to offer me?

Ideally, in reaching a decision I hope to find personal peace, biblical validation, and affirmation from godly counsel. But what happens when one can't attain unanimous support for a decision?

This Sunday I am teaching on a passage where Paul has made a decision, but lacks support from godly counsel. In Acts 19:21, Luke shares that, "Paul purposed in the spirit to go to Jerusalem." Paul was certain this was the will of God as he later states, "I am on my way to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit solemnly testifies to me in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions await me" (Acts 20:22-23).

Now this news is bad from a human perspective. Paul is bound for arrest, if not death. This causes his godly friends to react very sorrowfully. Check out a few of the reactions:

The elders in Ephesus "began to weep aloud and embraced Paul, and repeatedly kissed him, grieving especially over the word which he had spoken, that they would not see his face again" (Acts 20:37-38).

The disciples in Tyre "kept telling Paul through the Spirit not to set foot in Jerusalem" (Acts 21:4).

His traveling companions and local residents in Caesarea, "began begging him not to go up to Jerusalem" (Acts 21:12).

Wow, to go to Jerusalem or not to go? Both sides convicted the Spirit was leading them...what did this do to Paul? It tore him up. Read his reaction, "What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but even to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus" (Acts 21:13).

Paul's reaction finally get them to support his decision seemingly resigning that this was the Lord's will.

This whole story has caused me to ponder and reflect this week. Often, it seems, people believe God's will is the path with the most amount of blessing, or the path of least resistance. Clearly, this isn't always the case--and I would argue that God's will is often the more difficult path. In fact, this story sort of reminds my of the story of Jesus with the disciples in Matthew 16:21-27 as He begins to reveal His coming death. Peter reacted as many of Paul's friends reacted--ultimately provoking Jesus to tell Peter, or Satan, to get behind Him! This incident led Jesus to say these well known words, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me" (Matt. 16:24).

As I reflect on this passage, I am stirred to renew my commitment in following after Jesus. I realize God may ask me to follow Him in ways that may not seem like the best through an earthly lens. My prayer is that we who follow Him would not hesitate because of our fears or threats we face.

I am not sure that I have completed my thought here as I am getting tired, but I do have a few more days to process this passage.

1 comment:

Dennis Miranda said...

ok, last post and I'm going to bed. I just got done reading these very same words Jesus spoke, but in Mark 8:34. Been wrestling today with whether or not I am being called into leading our church's veterans ministry. One minute I am thoroughly convinced its yes, while the next I am struggling with uncertainty. Not that it is a tough decision, there just simply seems to be no peace about it either way. My wife is right in the sense that I may be piling too much on my plate. I have to then ask myself why do I want to do this and if I say yes to this, what will I be saying no to? anyways thanks again for the keen perspective. Semper Fi, Dennis