Friday, May 15, 2009

Anna's Reflections on Ecclesiastes

When I first decided to preach through Ecclesiastes, Anna had some reservations about it as this is not one of her favorite books of the Bible. Apparently, I did okay and she blogged on Ecclesiastes this week. I copied her post bellow!

Hope you enjoy enjoy it as much as I did!!

Ecclesiastes

Gunnar has been preaching through the book of Ecclesiastes over the last couple months at church. Ecclesiastes is not one of my favorite books, but it has been an intersting study and I have enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

During a lot of his sermons Gunnar has either quoted songs or I have been reminded of a song I know. It seems like I can't turn on the radio any more without being reminded of something from Ecclesiastes. So I compiled the songs and verses that I pulled them from. If you have any other ideas for any of these chapters or verses, please let me know.

Enjoy!

Ecclesiastes 1

Vanity of Vanities says the Preacher,
Vanity of Vanities! All is Vanity. (1:2)
I can't get no Satisfaction


Ecclesiastes 2
For of the wise as of the fool there is no enduring remembrance, seeing that in the days to come all will have been long forgotten. How the wise dies just like the fool! (2:16)
Gone



Ecclesiastes 3
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven. (3:1)
Turn Turn Turn (Who didn't see that one coming?)



Ecclesiastes 4
Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! (4:9-10)
Lean on Me (Kirk Franklin)


Lean on Me (Michael Bolton)



Ecclesiastes 5
Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is on heaven, and you are on earth. Therefore, let your words be few. (5:2)
Let my words be few:


Ecclesiastes 6
Better what the eye sees,
than the roving of the appetite (6:9)
Side By Side


Ecclesiastes 7
When times are good, be happy
but when times are bad, consider:
God has made the one as well as the other (7:14)
Blessed be Your Name



Ecclesiastes 8
And I commend joy, for man has no good thing under the sun but to eat and drink and be joyful, (8:15)
How You Live



Fried Chicken *


*I don't actually endorse drinking beer.

Ecclesiastes 9
Enjoy life with the wife whom you love, (9:9)
I Will Be Here


Walking Her Home (I apologize for the odd video, there was only so much to choose from on YouTube-if you haven't heard this song before, I recommend closing your eyes and listening)



Ecclesiastes 10

As dead flies give perfume a bad smell,
so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor. (10:1)
Slow Fade



Ecclesiastes 11

Light is sweet, and it is pleasant for the eyes to see the sun. (11:7)
What a wonderful world



Rejoice, O young man, in your youth, and let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth. (v. 9)
This Is The Day The Lord Has Made



Ecclesiastes 12

The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. (v. 13)

Gunnar spoke about how walking with God is in many ways like the line from "Walk the Line." We don't walk with him to try to earn our salvation, but like the sons says "because you're mine, I walk the line". We choose to follow Christ out of our love and reverence and fear for him, not out of compulsion.

I Walk The Line



0 comments

No comments: