Monday, September 12, 2011

Wisdom from Proverbs

When I first became a Christian, I was taught a great way to gain wisdom for life.  It is quite simple and I recommend it to you.  Read the corresponding Proverb for today's date.  For example today is September 12 so I read Proverbs chapter 12.

A couple nuggets of wisdom stood out to me, in no particular order, that I would like to share. 

The first is Proverbs 12:11, "He who tills his land will have plenty of bread, but he who pursues worthless things lacks sense."  This one reminds me to evaluate how I use my time.  I work a lot and I am not convicted to do more because of this proverb, but rather to spend my time well.

The second that stood out to me is Proverbs 12:27, "A lazy man does not roast his prey, but the precious man is diligence."  I liked this one because it sort of emphasized the importance of barbequing your meat...there is a right way and a wrong way! :)

The next one that jumped out at me was Proverbs 12:10, "A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal, but even the compassion of the wicked is cruel."  I am not a vegetarian, nor do I think the Bible promotes this.  But the Bible does teach stewardship of animals and the earth.  It troubles me, and I think there is something really wrong with people who are cruel to animals.

Proverbs 12:22, "Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, but those who deal faithfully are His delight."  I want to delight the LORD, period.

Finally, one of my favorites Proverbs 12:1, "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid."  This one is pretty bold, but is so true.  I love the person who corrects me in love and wisdom.  They are doing me a huge favor by helping me become a better person.  The Bible is pretty blunt and not politically correct by saying the one who can't take correction is "stupid."  So true, so true!

No comments: