Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Beauty of Prayer

I am up very early on a Sunday morning.  It was raining yesterday afternoon and evening.  We lit a fire and lounged during the late afternoon.  I was in bed really early and consequently I am up really early!  I love being up early on Sunday mornings because it gives me time to think, pray, and to get my heart ready for preaching.

Today we are studying Psalm 5 as we are in between books.  Next week we begin Roman--a major study for 2013.  I am very much looking forward to studying this book that Chuck Swindoll appropriately refers to as "The Christian Constitution."  But today, I have Psalm 5 before me and I feel led to mix things up at church today.  I'm looking forward to having a time of prayer and a time of thanksgiving in the middle of the message.  I'm also preaching first leading us into a time of taking the Lord's Supper and an extended time of worship.

Psalm 5:1-3 says this, "Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my groaning. Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God, for to You I pray.  In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice; in the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch." I am blessed as I consider some things about David's example of prayer that I would like to share.

Directly to God.  I love the direct access we see here.  There is no need to pray to a "saint" or any other mediator.  We have direct access to the Father through Christ.  God hears our prayers and knows are hearts.  There is no need to sugar coat your words.  We can and should go to Him directly and boldly!

Personal relationship with God.  Did you notice how many times "my" was used in these three verses?  A ton!  Well, more like 7 times, but you get the point.  David cries that God is his God and King!  Do you have this relationship with God?  Good times, bad times, God is our personal God and He desires this relationship with Him!  We must guard ourselves from turning God into a lucky rabbit's foot and distorting our relationship into a religion, or maybe you need to ditch religion and gain a relationship?

Consistency in prayer.  I love the consistency of David's prayers.  He tells God He will hear from David every morning!  I'm not one to make rules concerning devotions, but there seems to be a pattern in the Scriptures to start the day with prayer.  I don't know about you, but my days always go better when I start it with prayer. 

Praying with expectancy.  We pray and forget.  I always been bad at keeping a prayer journal, but I always encourage people to keep one.  I enjoy going back and reviewing the prayers I have prayed long after the fact.  I am always encouraged reading them thinking to myself, "Wow, the Lord came through on that one!"  Let us not pray and move on, but let us be like David and wait expectantly after we pray trusting that God will respond!

No comments: