Saturday, July 4, 2009

What in the World? Mongolia...

Valley Baptist Church believes in reaching the world for Christ. We have partnered with a family serving in Mongolia through New Tribes Mission. It has brought us great joy to partner with them over the last couple years.

My prayer is that we as a church would send a team to Mongolia for a short-term missions trip in 2011 or 2012. In preparation for this, I am heading out to Mongolia, hopefully, in the spring of 2010 for a couple of weeks.

I have been surprised about my anxiety levels over this potential trip to Mongolia. I have traveled the world, yet I toss and turn at night thinking about my visit to Ulanbataar. I am convinced that God wants me to go for a number of reasons:

1. I believe it is important that I be stretched and challenged by the Lord to keep the church healthy.

2. I believe it is important that Valley Baptist Church continually look outward. I don't want the church to become inward focused. The Lord told us to share the Good News with the world and we should!

3. I believe my trip out to Mongolia will be a great encouragement to the family serving there. So often people go overseas in service of the Lord only to find their supporters have forgotten about them. I want our family to know that we really do stand behind them.

4. I am planning on bringing two younger guys with me on the trip this first time. I think this will be a great experience for them to grow.

The positive reasons go on and on. When I consider them, it really makes my concerns about the cost of the trip etc. seem pretty petty. Please pray that God would give me wisdom and courage as I prepare for this trip! Thanks!

No comments: